I always seem to be drawn to white. I wear it almost every day and have a lot of it in many of my photographs. I went searching the web for little tidbits on the color white ...
"The first of all single colors is white ... We shall set down white for the representative of light, without which no color can be seen; yellow for the earth; green for water; blue for air; red for fire; and black for total darkness." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
White projects purity, cleanliness, and neutrality. Doctors don white coats, brides traditionally wear white gowns, and a white picket fence surrounds a safe and happy home.
How the color white affects us physically
- Aids mental clarity
- Encourages us to clear clutter or obstacles
- Evokes purification of thoughts or actions
- Enables fresh beginnings
White around the globe
- White is the traditional color worn by brides in the western world, as well as in Japan.
- White is a color of mourning in China and parts of Africa.
- White was the color of deepest mourning among medieval European queens was white rather than black. This tradition survived in Spain until the end of the fifteenth century.
- In Chinese culture, colors corresponded with the five primary elements, the directions, and the four seasons. White was associated with metal, west, and autumn.
- The ancient Greeks wore white to bed to ensure pleasant dreams.
Interesting information about white
- According to Pantone, Inc., white is the best selling color for the classic American t-shirt.
- More shades of white are available commercially than any other color.
- The appearance of white in a dream is thought to represent happiness at home. White castles are a symbol of achievement, destiny perfectly fulfilled, and spiritual perfection.
- Originally, scientists wore beige coats. In the late 19th century, medical professionals chose white ones. The color white was chosen because of the idea of hope and expectations for healing and recovery that the physicians would bring.
Popular phrases that include white
- White Christmas: the appearance of snow on Christmas day
- White flag: the signal of a peaceful surrender
- White goods: a description of household items, such as linens, towels, and appliances
- White hot: extreme manner of intensity
- White feather: a symbol of cowardice
What it says about you when you buy a white vehicle
There is no question that the vehicle you drive is an extension of your personality -- an unspoken but clear message to the rest of the world.
- The message you send by driving a vehicle that is White: Fastidious.
Songs with white in the title
- “Nights in White Satin” by the Moody Blues
- "White Men in Black Suits" by Everclear
- "White Queen (As It Began)" by Queen on Queen II
- "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane on "Surrealistic Pillow"
- "White Riot" by The Clash
- "White Room" by Alisha's Attic
- "White Room" by Cream
- “White Wedding” by Billy Idol
- “Whiter Shade of Pale” by Procol Harum
White in the garden
- White is considered a neutral color in landscape design. Its appearance can be used as a background for other colors.
- White can brighten up a garden and is a good choice for dark areas of a landscape.
- "Moon gardens" consist of all white flowering plants. This type of garden gives the illusion of glowing in the moonlight, making them a good choice for areas you spend time in during the evening.
- In general, white and pale flowers are more strongly scented than their darker counterparts.
White and our sense of taste
- White teas are the most delicate of all teas. Great care is taken so that only the youngest leaves are used. The finest varieties are appreciated for their unmatched subtlety, complexity, and natural sweetness.